Wednesday, October 19

Thank the Soldiers

This is a letter to the editor in the local paper today written by a friend of mine who's son is in Iraq.

I read with interest the letter from Beth Rosdatter thanking a man for bringing his flag to the candlelight vigil calling for an end to the war in Iraq. She pointed out that it is not unpatriotic to demonstrate for peace.

I agree wholeheartedly.

However, too often these demonstrations against a war turn into a demonstration against the only tangible evidence of that war: the men and women who have to fight it.

My son, a Marine, is on his third tour of duty in the war zone. To those who console me about my fears for my child in harm's way, I can only reply, "Someone's child has to do it."

I am scared to death for my son, but I am immensely proud of the job he is doing.

I have always gone out of my way to thank those who fought in Vietnam. I didn't agree with the war then and I don't agree with it now, but I am grateful for those who fought there.

Disagree with the war and protest against it; I respect your position whether I agree or not and encourage your efforts.

Just be thankful for men and women like my son who are covering your back.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com