Monday, February 13

Scattershot Anti-Gun Snark Backfires In Cheney Mishap

I realize that in internet terms, Vice President Cheney's hunting accident is rather old news now, but I'd like to note the Brady Campaign's inept political spin on the incident.


As mentioned on LGF way back yesterday by Killer Tomato, the following snarky news release was sent out by "gun control" activists Jim and Sarah Brady on behalf of their anti-gun organization (formerly called Handgun Control, Inc.) shortly after the story broke:



FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
FEBRUARY 12, 2006
5:40 PM

CONTACT: Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence
Peter Hamm, 202-289-5792

James and Sarah Brady Comment on the Vice President's Hunting Mishap

WASHINGTON - February 12 - James and Sarah Brady made comments today related to Vice President Cheney's reportedly accidental shooting yesterday in Texas.

[emphasis added - Dar ul Harb]

"Now I understand why Dick Cheney keeps asking me to go hunting with him," said Jim Brady. "I had a friend once who accidentally shot pellets into his dog - and I thought he was an idiot."

"I've thought Cheney was scary for a long time," Sarah Brady said. "Now I know I was right to be nervous."



Now to me, this shows just what a spent political force these "gun control" people have become. For so many years we were told by "gun control" activists that they had nothing against hunters, or weapons used for sporting purposes, and that nobody was talking about your deer rifle or hunting shotgun. They were only interested in banning your "Saturday Night Specials" and black ugly guns (a.k.a. "assault weapons") that supposedly had no sporting purpose. We've all heard the "I've never gone hunting with an AK-47" testimonials from supposedly "moderate" Democrats on the campaign trail.

Well, if these people aren't interested in guns used by hunters and sportsmen, what's the point of this press release (other than to underscore what low-class political hacks the Bradys are)? I suppose it must fall into the category of "no such thing as bad publicity so long as they spell your name right".

But if anyone had ever really believed them about their disinterest in hunting guns, they certainly wouldn't now. And if I was to be as crass as Ann Coulter, one could even call this a brain-damaged public relations strategy...

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com